Connect with us


2018 Atlantic 10 Women’s Basketball Tournament; Quarterfinals Recap

The quarterfinals of the Atlantic 10 women’s basketball tournament were held at the Richmond Coliseum on Friday. Four games were played throughout the day to determine who would advance to the semifinals set for Saturday.

Dayton vs Richmond

In the first game, the top-seeded Dayton Flyers took on the eight-seed Richmond Spiders. Dayton shot consecutive threes to take an early 6-0 lead. Richmond would respond with a 9-0 run of their own. By the end of the first quarter, the Spiders held a 16-15 lead.

In the second, Dayton began to pull away. Turnovers by Richmond led to a 13-2 run by the Flyers. It also didn’t help Richmond that their shooting was off (4-15 from the field, 0-4 from three) in the second quarter. Dayton took a 34-25 lead into the locker room.

Richmond came back in the third quarter and made it a 47-43 game heading into the final frame.

Dayton couldn’t be stopped, however, especially from the free-throw line. The Flyers would finish 26-31 from the line, and that would propel them to a 67-58 victory to advance to the semifinals.

Two players also recorded double-doubles for the Flyers. JaVonna Layfield scored 17 points on 4-8 shooting from the field. She also added 11 rebounds. Jayla Scaife scored 10 points on 3-8 shooting and recorded 12 rebounds.

George Mason vs George Washington

In the second game of the quarterfinals, the four seed and five seed faced off George Mason took on George Washington with the winner advancing to face Dayton in the first semifinal on Saturday. George Washington led 14-13 after a very closely contested first quarter. Two players, Mei-Lyn Bautista for George Washington and Natalie Butler for George Mason, were tied with a then game-high six points.

More of the same came in the second quarter from both teams. Defenses both played very aggressively and both offenses were almost equal (George Washington 11-25 from field; George Mason 11-26). The Colonials led 29-27 as the teams went into the locker room.

George Mason showed more agility in the beginning of the third quarter, but George Washington, of course, never gave in. The score was tied after three thanks to a buzzer-beating three from Kelsi Mahoney.

It was George Washington who showed they were the better team in the fourth quarter. They went on a 6-0 run to start the final frame. Still, George Mason put up a fight.

It wouldn’t be enough in the end. George Washington would pull off a 64-59 win to advance to the semifinals.

Duquesne vs Saint Louis

In game three, the Duquesne Dukes faced off against the Saint Louis Billikens in the two seed vs seven seed matchup. Both teams were very impressive with their shooting, and Duquesne led 20-17 after one quarter of play.

After getting out to a six-point lead in the second quarter, Duquesne allowed Saint Louis back in it with free throws. A six-point lead turned into a one-point lead for them at the half, 39-38.

The two teams went back and forth throughout the third quarter, as well. Saint Louis went on a run, but Duquesne wouldn’t let up. It was Saint Louis who held the lead at the end of the third quarter, however, by a score of 52-51.

Saint Louis would then take control at the end of the game. With less than a minute left and a five-point lead, they made one of two free throws to extend that to a six-point lead with just 33.5 seconds remaining.

Several more free throws by the Billikens would prove to be enough as they went on to upset Duquesne by a final score of 71-65.

Fordham vs Saint Joseph’s

Fordham and Saint Joseph’s faced off for the final semifinal spot and the right to face Saint Louis. The first score of the game two minutes in when Johanna Klug knocked down a shot for Fordham. Saint Joseph’s couldn’t really get anything going in the first quarter, converting on just three of 13 from the field. Fordham led 13-6 at the end of one.

Fordham continued to execute well in the second quarter on both sides of the ball. Saint Joseph’s began getting more shots to fall, but their defense was unable to stop Fordham completely. The Rams led 24-16 at halftime.

Saint Joseph’s would go on a 14-5 run halfway through the third quarter to take a 30-29 lead. Both teams would exchange one bucket after another, and it was Fordham who held the lead, 35-34, at the end of the third quarter.

With time ticking down and the score tied in the fourth quarter and the score tied, Saint Joseph’s Sarah Veilleux knocked down a three with 0.6 seconds left to clinch the victory for them over Fordham, 52-49.

With all quarterfinals wrapped up, the semifinals are set. Dayton will take on George Washington in the first semifinal. Saint Louis and Saint Joseph’s will face off in the second.

The following two tabs change content below.

Stephen Ur

Stephen is the Football Editor at
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in College