Connect with us


Marist Gets First Win of the Season

This past Saturday afternoon, Marist geared up as they would face PFL rival Campbell. This was the PFL opener for Marist as they start to get into their conference schedule following their bye. Marist is 2-5 all-time in PFL openers and lead the series against Campbell 6-1 since the teams first met back on Oct 3, 2009. The last three years Marist have won their first games following a bye. Campbell has had three PFL offensive players of the week so far this year led by their running back DeShawn Jones. The gameplay coming into the game this week for the Red Foxes would be to contain the run.

The first half of the game was mostly defense for both teams as both offensive units would trade three-in-outs early on. The first quarter of the game was a defensive struggle as both defenses kept the offenses out of the end zone. Campbell would get into the redzone and deep into Marist territory many times, but the drives would then stall. The first scoring play of the game would come in the second quarter when Campbell running back DeShawn Jones would rush for a two yard touchdown to put Campbell up, 7-0. Marist on their next possession would drive the length of the field after a nice kick return of 30-yards by Lawrence Dickens, but would end in a Mike White interception. The special teams unit for Marist was much better in this game as they would flip field position for most of the game.

Marist would have a couple attempts to score after driving deep into Campbell territory late in the second quarter, but would not get in for the score. The first score for Marist would occur late in the second quarter as kicker Mike Maccarone would kick a field goal with 22-seconds left in the first half. This would occur after White would connect with Marcellus Calhoun for a 37-yard catch to get down to the two yard line. Calhoun would rush for one yard, but would not get in for the score. Then White would find Juston Christian in the end zone for what would be called a touchdown , but would be taken back by the officials as they said the receiver did not have possession of the ball.

Marist on their first drive of the second half would come out strong as the Red Foxes would have a long drive that ended in a score. White (Jr.) would find wide receiver Joe Jordan in the end zone for a three yard touchdown reception to give Marist the lead. Marist would get another score on their next drive as running back Calhoun would scramper for a 1-yard touchdown to widen the Marist lead to, 17-7. From there the Red Foxes would not look back as they would shut out Campbell in the second half of the game.

Marist’s defense would contain the run very well in this game when it came to DeShawn Jones, but they would not be able to stop the quarterback keeps from Campbell quarterback Elijah Burress as he would run for 167 for the day. DeShawn Jones would run for only 67 yards and a score. Marist’s cornerback Cameron Gibson (Sr.) would have a big interception and a pass break up late in the game for the defense.

Mike White completed 19 of his 37 throws, one interception, and one touchdown. Marcellus Calhoun would lead the running game with 51 yards on the ground and two scores and he would be the top receiver in the game too by having 67 yards receiving. Following him was Joe Jordan with 48 yards receiving, Dickens with 23 yards , and Christian with only 11 yards receiving on the day. The leaders for the defense were Mike Marston with 7 tackles and Jordyn Jean-Felix with 7 tackles and would have a interception too.

Marist will improve to 1-3 overall, 1-0 in conference play as Campbell will fall to 3-2 overall, 1-1 in the PFL. Next week Marist will travel to play Butler as it will be the first game of a two game road trip.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in College