Connect with us


Red Foxes Loses a Close One to The Hoyas, 20-17

Marist took on Patriot League rival Georgetown this Saturday night at Tenney Stadium.The fans were invited to a firework show following the game. The Red Foxes showed some fireworks as they looked good coming out of the gates scoring early and playing physical on defense. The Marist defense looked to start off where they ended last week against Bucknell stopping the run and causing a havoc in the back field. The offense started off slow in the first half, but did come through with some good plays early on.

Quarterback Mike White was 6-17 with 106 passing yards and a passing score. One thing that we did not see in the first half from the offense was turnovers; Mike White played a clean first half and look like a improved quarterback in this game. Georgetown started off slow to begin the game only mustering two three-pointers with a H. Darmstadter 25-yard field goal and a 28-yard field goal. The Hoya’s quarterback Tim Barnes was 14-26 with 113 passing yards and a interception.

In the first half of the game, Marist would get down the field in a hurry on a couple of running plays and some good passing plays from White. Marist would get into the red zone and that is where the drive would stall as the Red Foxes were able to to get three points with a Mike Macacarone 37-yard field goal. In their next drive, White would scramble for 10-yards for a first down to get to the 50-yard line. On the next play, White would connect wth wide receiver Justion Christian for a 50-yard touchdown. Christian would make a great play as he would bobble the ball, but never gave up on it and held it in for a touchdown.

Besides two field goals for the Hoyas, they would add a great play of their own late in the first half. Georgetown’s Jellani Williamson would block the Maccarone field goal and recover it on the 50-yard line to start their new drive. That play did not translate into any points for their offense as their drive would result in a three and out.

The Marist defense played a tough defense in the first half showing pressure and attacking the ball in the air. Marist’s safety Wes Beans would intercept Barnes after the ball was tipped in the air by the Georgetown receiver. Defensive lineman Eric Taylor would record a sack too for the Marist defense. Georgetown would get their first lead of the night in the third quarter as running Christian Bermudez scampered for 15 yards on 4th and 1 for a touchdown. That seemed to be the story most of the game for the Hoyas as they would go for it on 4th and short situations and converted on nearly all of them.

In the second half, White would (Jun.) have another big play as he had a 29-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Jon Kanda to put the Red Foxes back on top. Marist looked better in this game than last week against Bucknell on both sides of the ball. Later in the half, Marist could have added another score that would of put them in the lead and may have won the game for the Red Foxes after a flag was thrown within the five yard line. It looked to be a pass interference play on the Hoya’s defense, but was later taken back as the refs deemed the catch to be uncatchable.

The offensive leaders of the night for Marist were quarterback M.White, wide receiver Lawrence Dickens, and running back Marcellus Calhoun. White passed for 15-36 for 234 yards with two scores, and no interceptions. Calhoun rushed for 60 yards in 18 attempts as Lawrence Dickens had 74-yards receiving on 4 receptions. Georgetown’s offensive leaders were QB Tim Barnes, WR Justin Harrell, and RB Alex Valles. Barnes threw for 23-45 for 208 yards with one touchdown. Harley had 84 yards in the air on 8 receptions with one score. Valles would run for 99 yards on 15 attempts and averaged 6.2 yards a carry.
Up Next: Marist will be on the road Saturday, September, 17th at Sacred Heart with kickoff at 5pm.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in College